Wednesday, April 25, 2007

I Had No Idea.

I was absolutely sure Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane had nothing to offer me. It's a comic book aimed at teenage girls and all full of high school dating stuff that I missed out on myself because I was so much of a geek. And it's about Mary Jane, who is an okay character but never seemed very deep to me. And it looks like friggin' manga. Three strikes.

Despite my prejudice I went and downloaded the series and two previous mini-series. I'd finally given in to all the talk around Manhunter, downloaded and read it and was completely hooked. So maybe people knew what they were talking about with Mary Jane as well?




They did. They so did. I really didn't think a comic for teenage girls would be done with so much respect and careful attention to characters. I had visions of some Archie-True Romance cross. Thank godness I was so wrong. Mary Jane is compelling and characters like Flash and Liz Allen, despite how easily they could come off as shallow and unsympathetic, are people a reader ends up caring about. And the art is perfect. It's like Archie with less of the formula and a lot more humanity.

So I'm sold. Now that I have a local shop that will order in comic books so first chance I get I will be heading down to put money down for Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane and Manhunter.

5 Comments:

At 4:11 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Marvel actually did a hardcover of Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane recently. It collected the Mary Jane and Mary Jane: Homecoming miniseries, and the first five Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane books.

Unfortunately, Sean McKeever has been signed to DC exclusively and it looks like S-M L MJ is going to finish at issue 20. Which is only a couple of months away (we're already up to 17, I believe - I'm still waiting for mine from two weeks ago, my LCS has to get it on reorders for me). I've got my fingers crossed for a second hardcover collecting the second half of the series. The first one was really quite cheap in comparison to some, actually. So I'm hoping for that again. I just like having them in full size - the only other way to get the books collected is in digest size.

But anyway, I'm rambling and I'm a completely random stranger, so I think I'll just stop now.

Here via When Fangirls Attack, just in case you were wondering :)

 
At 5:51 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

Thanks for the news, bad though it is. :(

Maybe I'll just pick up the hardcover and hope, as you are, for a second.

 
At 5:52 AM, Blogger Saranga said...

Where can you download it?

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

You have to be willing to practice copyright infringement.

I found it on Demonoid.com and used a bit torrent client to download it. I'm in Canada where downloading with P2P software is still legal.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Saranga said...

Thanks for the info Dawn! Yes, copyright issues, they complicate things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home